Examples of Accommodations and Lodging Businesses include:

Bed and Breakfast Facilities
A dwelling unit in which the occupant rents or leases a room or suite of rooms on a temporary basis to vacationers or tourists, and which may include the provision of meals. May be allowed in AG, CM, CR-5, GC, and MDR districts.
Boarding or Lodging House
A building containing sleeping rooms without cooking facilities, where lodging and/or meals for three or more persons is provided for compensation. May be allowed in CC, GC, MDR and MU1 districts.
Any land or part thereof which may levy fees for the locating of tents or recreational vehicles and may includes any facilities or amenities secondary to the primary use. May be allowed in BA-DC, GC, and IR Districts.
Guest Ranch
A working farm or ranch that offers visitors meals and temporary overnight accommodation for payment of a fee and may include programs that allows guests to participate in a range of farming activities. May be allowed in the IR district.
A building designed for the accommodation of the travelling or vacationing public containing guestrooms served by a common entrance as well as general kitchen and dining or other public rooms. May be allowed in CBMJ, CC, GC, GWC, MU1, and RM-4 district.
A building, or a group of buildings designed for the accommodation of the traveling or vacationing public containing guestrooms. May be allowed in CC, GC, GWC, and RM-4 districts.

For a full list and definitions of Accommodation and Lodging businesses, please refer to our Land Use Bylaw.

Zoning and Required Approvals


Each land use is required to be in an appropriate land use district as listed above.

To determine the land use district of a property, refer to our Map. If your use is not listed on the land use district of a property, you may need to apply to rezone the property.


Municipal Approvals

Development Permits are required for any new or expanding Accommodations and Lodging uses, including new buildings, additions to existing buildings, and a change in use or intensification of the use of the land or building.

A Building Permit is required for the construction of a building, including renovations, additions, or a change in occupancy. 

Applications can be made online using our Gateway portal.

Provincial Approvals

Certain developments may require provincial approvals or licensing in addition to your municipal permits. Examples where Provincial approvals may be required include:

  • If a development is within 800 m of the centerline of a highway;
  • If a development will impact a water body or if it diverts and uses surface or groundwater;
  • If a development involves the handling of food for consumption, liquor, or cannabis.


Fees for municipal approvals are charged in accordance with our Schedule of Fees, Rates and Charges.

For further information, please contact Planning and Development Services.


This information has no legal status and cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various municipal, provincial, and federal bylaws, codes and regulations currently in effect. The County of Grande Prairie No. 1 accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information. Web pages are updated periodically.