Examples of Cannabis Businesses include:

Cannabis Production and Distribution

Development used principally for one or more of the following activities as it relates to cannabis:

  •  the production, cultivation, and growth of cannabis;
  • the processing of raw materials;
  • the making, testing, manufacturing, assembling or in any way altering the chemical or physical properties of semi-finished or finished goods and products;
  • the storage or transshipping of materials, goods and products; or 
  • the distribution and sale of materials, goods and products to Cannabis Retail Sales stores or to individual customers.

May be allowed in RM, RM-1, RM-2, RM-3, and RM-4 districts.

Cannabis Retail Sales
The premises specified in a retail cannabis license where the retail sale of cannabis is authorized. May be allowed in CBMJ, CBMN, CC, GC, GWC, MU1, RM, RM-1, RM-2, RM-4 districts

For a full list and definitions of Cannabis businesses, please refer to our Land Use Bylaw.

Zoning and Required Approvals


Each land use is required to be in an appropriate land use district as listed above.

To determine the land use district of a property, refer to our Map. If your use is not listed on the land use district of a property, you may need to apply to rezone the property.

Cannabis businesses are required to be separated from other land uses such as schools, parks, liquor stores, and recreation facilities. 

Separation Distances Between Uses in Metres
  Provincial Health Care, Health Service, Clinic Daycare, School, School Reserve or Municipal and School Reserve Recreation Facility or Recreational Use Cannabis Retail Sales Liquor Store Cannabis Production and/or Distribution Residential District
Cannabis Retail Sales 500 500 500 100 100 - 100
Cannabis Production and/or Distribution 500 500 500 - - - 100
Retail (Liquor) - - - 100 - - -

 For complete information on Cannabis business requirements, please refer to our Land Use Bylaw.


Municipal Approvals

Development Permits are required for any new or expanding Cannabis uses, including new buildings, additions to existing buildings, and a change in use or intensification of the use of the land or building.

Building Permit is required for the construction of a building, including renovations, additions, or a change in occupancy. 

Applications can be made online using our Gateway portal.

Provincial Approvals

Certain developments may require provincial approvals or licensing in addition to your municipal permits. Examples where Provincial approvals may be required include:

  • If a development is within 800 m of the centerline of a highway;
  • If a development will impact a water body or if it diverts and uses surface or groundwater;
  • If a development involves the handling of food for consumption, liquor, or cannabis.


Fees for municipal approvals are charged in accordance with our Schedule of Fees, Rates and Charges.

For further information, please contact Planning and Development Services.


This information has no legal status and cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various municipal, provincial, and federal bylaws, codes and regulations currently in effect. The County of Grande Prairie No. 1 accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information. Web pages are updated periodically.