Examples of Construction and Trades Businesses include:

Building Supply Outlet
Industrial premises used fro storage, milling, and wholesale sales of a broad range of building materials and tools, and which may include a retail operation. May be allowed in CMBJ, CC, RM-1, and RM-2 districts
Construction Yard 
The use of land or buildings for as construction operation such as building construction, oilfield construction or another similar type of construction operation. May be allowed in RM-1, RM-2, and RM-3 districts
Contracting Services, Major 
A development used for commercial and industrial service support and construction. Typical uses include oilfields support services, laboratories, cleaning and maintenance contractors, building construction, surveying, landscaping, concrete, electrical, excavation, drilling, heating, plumbing, paving, road construction, sewer or similar services of a construction nature. May be allowed in CM, RM-1, RM-2, and RM-3 districts
Contracting Services, Minor
A development used for the provision of electrical , plumbing, heating, painting and other contractor services and the accessory sales of goods normally associated with the contractor services where all materials are kept within an enclosed building, and no fleet storage of more than four vehicles or pieces of mobile equipment. May be allowed in CC, CM, RM, RM-1, RM-2, and RM-3 districts
Industry, Forest Based
An industrial operation that manufactures or produces forest products and generally includes lumber manufacturing facilities, oriented strand board plants, pulp mills and sawmills. May be allowed in RM-3 and RM-DC districts

For a full list and definitions of Construction and Trades businesses, please refer to our Land Use Bylaw.

Zoning and Required Approvals


Each land use is required to be in an appropriate land use district as listed above.

To determine the land use district of a property, refer to our Map. If your use is not listed on the land use district of a property, you may need to apply to rezone the property.


Municipal Approvals

Development Permits are required for any new or expanding Construction and Trades uses, including new buildings, additions to existing buildings, and a change in use or intensification of the use of the land or building.

Building Permit is required for the construction of a building, including renovations, additions, or a change in occupancy. 

Applications can be made online using our Gateway portal.

Provincial Approvals

Certain developments may require provincial approvals or licensing in addition to your municipal permits. Examples where Provincial approvals may be required include:

  • If a development is within 800 m of the centerline of a highway;
  • If a development will impact a water body or if it diverts and uses surface or groundwater;
  • If a development involves the handling of food for consumption, liquor, or cannabis.


Fees for municipal approvals are charged in accordance with our Schedule of Fees, Rates and Charges.

For further information, please contact Planning and Development Services.


This information has no legal status and cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various municipal, provincial, and federal bylaws, codes and regulations currently in effect. The County of Grande Prairie No. 1 accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information. Web pages are updated periodically.