Examples of Entertainment and Event Businesses include:

 Commercial Entertainment Facility
A Privately owned indoor facility or development operated for financial gain in which the public participates in and/or views an activity for entertainment/social purposes. They do not include and adult entertainment facility, bingo hall, casino. May be allowed in the MU1 district
Community Hall  
The use of land and building for community activities and generally not used for commercial purposes, and the control of which is vested in the County of Grande Prairie, a local board or agent thereof. May be allowed in L-IR and IR districts
Gaming or Gambling Establishment  
A building or structure, or any portion thereof, which is used for the purpose of dealing, operating, maintaining or conducting any game played with cards, dice or any mechanical device or machine for money, property or any item of value. May be allowed in the CC district.
A building, or part thereof, used for the presentation of the performing arts. May be allowed in the CC, GC, CBMN, CBMJ, and MU1 districts.
Theatre, Drive-In
A facility used for the showing or viewing of motion pictures with a viewing area(s) designed for motor vehicles such that the audience can view the screen from each vehicle. May be allowed in RM-4, and CC districts
Theatre, Movie
A building, or part thereof, used for the showing or viewing of motion pictures for a fee. Also included cinemas. May be allowed in CC, GC, CBMN, CBMJ, and MU1 districts.

For a full list and definitions of Entertainment and Events businesses, please refer to our Land Use Bylaw.

Zoning and Required Approvals


Each land use is required to be in an appropriate land use district as listed above.

To determine the land use district of a property, refer to our Map. If your use is not listed on the land use district of a property, you may need to apply to rezone the property.


Municipal Approvals

Development Permits are required for any new or expanding Entertainment and Event uses, including new buildings, additions to existing buildings, and a change in use or intensification of the use of the land or building.

Building Permit is required for the construction of a building, including renovations, additions, or a change in occupancy. 

Applications can be made online using our Gateway portal.

Provincial Approvals

Certain developments may require provincial approvals or licensing in addition to your municipal permits. Examples where Provincial approvals may be required include:

  • If a development is within 800 m of the centerline of a highway;
  • If a development will impact a water body or if it diverts and uses surface or groundwater;
  • If a development involves the handling of food for consumption, liquor, or cannabis.


Fees for municipal approvals are charged in accordance with our Schedule of Fees, Rates and Charges.

For further information, please contact Planning and Development Services.


This information has no legal status and cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various municipal, provincial, and federal bylaws, codes and regulations currently in effect. The County of Grande Prairie No. 1 accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information. Web pages are updated periodically.