A residing home owner can obtain their own permits for building, electrical, plumbing, or gas for the residence (or residential accessory building) provided they are the owner and they actually reside in the home (or is registered as an owner builder under the New Home Buyer Protection Act).

Not permitted under a homeowner's permit are grid interconnected wind and solar arrays and their associated electrical installations, installations on properties without a residence, and temporary construction power.

If you are hiring a contractor to do the work, you or your contractor can apply for permits, however it may be more appropriate to have the contractor apply.

Applications can be made online using the Gateway portal.