Examples of Oilfield and Resource Service and Support Businesses include:

Bulk Fuel and Chemical Storage
Development where refined or crude oil, fuel, or liquid or solid chemical is stored, and includes the storage of dangerous/hazardous substances, as defined by the Dangerous Goods Transportation and Handling Act and the Major Industrial Accidents Council of Canada (MIACC). May be allowed in GC, RM, RM-2, RM-3, and RM-DC districts.
Construction Yard
The use of land or buildings for a construction operation such as building construction, oilfield construction or another similar type of construction operation. May be allowed in RM-1, RM-2, and RM-3 districts.  
Contracting Services, Major
A development used for commercial and industrial service support and construction. Typical uses include oilfield support services, laboratories, cleaning and maintenance contractors, building construction, surveying, landscaping, concrete, electrical, excavation, drilling, heating, plumbing, paving, road construction, sewer or similar services of a construction nature. May be allowed in CM, RM-1, RM-2, and RM-3 districts.
Industry, Hazardous 
An industry that by reason of emissions, noise or the manufacturing process or storage of goods and materials, create a situation which is offensive or hazardous to human health, safety and well-being. May be allowed in RM-3 and RM-DC districts.
Industry, Petro-Chemical
A facility or industry that processes or refines gas, oil, or any other petro-chemical product from its raw state into a more refined state suitable for transport to market. May be allowed in the RM-DC district.
Natural Resource Extraction Industry 
An industry engaged in the extraction of natural resources such as timber, clay, sand and gravel, limestone, shale, coal, and other minerals. This includes all petroleum and natural gas related activities and which may include primary treatment into a marketable form of the resource. May be allowed in EX and RM-DC districts.
Oilfield Support Services
A development that provides cleaning, servicing, repairing or testing of materials, goods and equipment normally associated with the oil and gas industry. This may include the storage or shipping of such materials, goods and equipment, including petrochemical products and supplies, provided such storage does not exceed 5,000 m3 for all organic or inorganic chemicals and 10,000 m3 for all petroleum products. Such storage shall be in accordance with all applicable provincial and federal statutes. This definition applies to oil and gas industry support operations and includes, but is not limited to, seismic surveying, well servicing, oilfield haulers, pipeline contractors and welding operations. May be allowed in RM-1, RM-2, RM-3, and RM-4 districts
Petroleum Facility
Petroleum infrastructure such as oil and gas pipelines, well battery, compressor station, and metering station and is not defined as a Natural Resource Extraction Industry. May be allowed in the AG district.
Temporary Work Camp
A temporary residential complex to be used to house camp workers for more than 28 days and less than one year. The camp is usually made up of a number of mobile units, clustered in such fashion as to provide sleeping, eating, recreation and other basic living faculties. May be allowed in the RM-DC district

For a full list and definitions of Oilfield and Resource Service and Support businesses, please refer to our Land Use Bylaw.

Zoning and Required Approvals


Each land use is required to be in an appropriate land use district as listed above.

To determine the land use district of a property, refer to our Map. If your use is not listed on the land use district of a property, you may need to apply to rezone the property.


Municipal Approvals

Development Permits are required for any new or expanding Oilfield and Resource Services and Support uses, including new buildings, additions to existing buildings, and a change in use or intensification of the use of the land or building.

Building Permit is required for the construction of a building, including renovations, additions, or a change in occupancy. 

Applications can be made online using our Gateway portal.

Provincial Approvals

Certain developments may require provincial approvals or licensing in addition to your municipal permits. Examples where Provincial approvals may be required include:

  • If a development is within 800 m of the centerline of a highway;
  • If a development will impact a water body or if it diverts and uses surface or groundwater;
  • If a development involves the handling of food for consumption, liquor, or cannabis.


Fees for municipal approvals are charged in accordance with our Schedule of Fees, Rates and Charges.

For further information, please contact Planning and Development Services.


This information has no legal status and cannot be used as an official interpretation of the various municipal, provincial, and federal bylaws, codes and regulations currently in effect. The County of Grande Prairie No. 1 accepts no responsibility to persons relying solely on this information. Web pages are updated periodically.