Standards for private sewage installations are set by the Alberta Private Sewage Disposal System Standard of Practice. Private Sewage Permits ensure installations meet these standards. Private Sewage permits are governed by the Alberta Safety Codes Act and Permit Regulations under the Plumbing discipline. Applications for Private Sewage Permits can be made online using our Gateway portal.

When is a Private Sewage Disposal System (PSDS) Permit required?

A Private Sewage Permit is needed to install, alter, or add to a private sewage system, or if the total number of bedrooms change. The permit needs to be applied for prior to the work commencing.

How long are Permits valid?

Permits expire if work is not commenced within 90 days of issuance or if the project is suspended for more than 120 days.

However, all work should be completed within the life of the associated Development and Building Permits.

Who should apply for the permit?

A certified installer must apply for a Private Sewage Permit within the County. Municipal Affairs maintains a list of certified installers for the Province of Alberta, including the County of Grande Prairie and surrounding areas.

Homeowners can apply for a Private Sewage Permit for an open discharge system as long as they reside on the property.

What are the separation distance requirements for sewage treatment systems?

The minimum separation distances from the current Standard of Practice (SOP) can be found on Municipal Affairs Website.

For information on the types of systems available contact a certified Private Sewage installer or the Planning Department