The Land Use Bylaw categorizes each parcel of land into a zoning district, which directs the types of development and the uses for the parcels of land. Rezoning is the process of changing the category of zoning for your parcel of land.

There are two situations in which you may want to rezone:

  • You wish to develop or use your land in a way that is not allowable under your current zone
  • You wish to subdivide your land into parcels used for a different purpose

A rezoning application may accompany a subdivision or a Development Permit application.

Rezoning Application Requirements

You will need the following to apply to rezone your property:

  • A completed Rezoning Application which includes:
    • the description of the use(s) proposed for the land
    • information on the uses and characteristics of the land within 0.8km (0.5 mile) from the land proposed for rezoning
    • the reason(s) for the application to rezone.
  • A current certificate of title for the land to be rezoned, including the names and addresses of all encumbrances.
  • The application fee as approved in the County's approved Fee Schedule.
  • A high-resolution air photo of the subject land at a scale of no less than 1:5000.
  • A properly scaled and dimensioned map or plan showing the location, dimensions and boundaries of the affected site, and its relationship to existing land uses on adjacent properties.
  • A map showing the 1 in 100-year flood plan if the land is located in a potential floodplain and the floodplain mapping is available.

Additional information may be required by the Development Authority or referral agencies upon review of the application.

Council may require an Area Structure Plan or Outline Plan be prepared or amended prior to considering a proposed amendment to the Land Use Bylaw.

Rezoning Process

The Land Use Bylaw is a municipal bylaw, therefore County Council has the final authority to approve or deny an application for its amendment.

Prior to making this decision, all affected or potentially affected parties are to be notified and provided an opportunity to express their concerns and/or comments. This is done via circulation of the proposed amendment to various referral agencies, adjacent landowners, and encumbrances on title.

The application is also scheduled for a Public Hearing heard by County Council. The hearing date and time are circulated to the applicant and/or his/her agent and adjacent landowners, as well as advertised in a local newspaper. All affected parties are given the opportunity to speak at the hearing and/or written comments received by the Planning Department will be provided to Council for their review.

The application will need to receive three readings by Council to be approved. The Public Hearing is typically held following the first reading.

When does the decision take effect?

An approval takes effect immediately upon receiving third reading from Council.

If Council refuses my application, can I appeal?

The Land Use Bylaw is a municipal bylaw, therefore County Council has the final authority to approve or deny an application. There is no appeal process for rezoning applications.

How long does the rezoning process take?

The County cannot guarantee a specific timeline for a Land Use Bylaw amendment as each application is unique, but requires a minimum of 30 days to allow for circulation and advertising of the public hearing. Some factors that may impact the time to render a decision include, but are not limited to:

  • The application being tied to another application such as a subdivision or area structure plan,
  • Missing or incomplete information submitted at time of application,
  • The application not receiving all three readings in a single Council meeting.