The County of Grande Prairie is committed to keeping the roads safe in our community. We provide many programs and services to ensure that everyone is following safe practices when using the County roads.   

Report a complaint

Call 9-1-1 if there is an emergency.  

If you would like to report a complaint, please use the online Report It form or call 780-532-9727.   

How to apply for a commercial vehicle permit

If you are planning to use a commercial vehicle within the County, you must apply for a commercial vehicle permit. To apply, please contact either:   

If you would like to learn more information about commercial vehicle permits, you can visit Alberta Transportation or contact Grande Prairie Sheriff Highway Patrol toll free at 310-0000 or 780-538-6444.   

Community Peace Officers 

Community Peace Officers enforce select provincial statutes and regulatory municipal bylaws in the region to promote community safety by providing the following services:   

Traffic Safety and Infrastructure protection
Community Peace Officers conduct traffic safety and enforce commercial vehicle weight restrictions on roadways to protect our municipal road infrastructure. For more information visit weight restrictions.   
Specialized patrols
Enhanced RCMP and Community Peace Officers use mountain bikes, ATVs, snowmobiles and a jet boat to ensure safety and provide a visible presence in the County's green spaces and parklands.   
CVSA inspections
Community Peace Officers conduct Commercial Vehicle Safety Alliance (CVSA) inspections to ensure commercial vehicles comply with all safety requirements.   
Special events policing
Community Peace Officers work with the Enhanced RCMP to promote safety during large special events.   
Emergency management
Community Peace Officers work with the Grande Prairie Regional Emergency Partnership (GPREP) to address any local emergencies in the community.     

Provincial services for traffic safety

The Province of Alberta also provides a variety of services for traffic safety including:   

Contact - Alberta Transportation
Telephone - 780-427-8901 
Email - 

Where we provide services

We provide services for the following areas:   

  • County of Grande Prairie
  • Town of Sexsmith
  • Town of Wembley

Patrol areas

The County of Grande Prairie patrol area spans from the British Columbia border on the west to the Smoky River on the east, and from the Saddle Hills on the north to the Wapiti River on the south.   

Within the County borders lies the Towns of Beaverlodge, Wembley, and Sexsmith, and ten County Hamlets. The County has 287.4 km of Secondary Highways, 3,403.3 km of graveled, paved or oiled rural roads, nine recreation parks, four trailer parks, subdivisions and five natural reserve sites.